Matthew Lindfield - Designing a characters outfit.


For this unit, I decided to create a character that wears a hazmat suit, I did this for a number of reasons.
The first was it would allow me to create a simple armature and not have to create a complex character model on top of having to create clothing alongside. The benefit of having a hazmat suit is that I could cover the armatures entire body, allowing me to keep my armature simple and use any material without any aesthetic issues such as the materials looking ugly and out of place compared to the clothing.
Another benefit is that I could focus entirely on the clothing for the character without having to worry about anything else. This would allow me to simplify things in the process of designing and creating my character. Having experience using a variety of digital programs I decided to go about the designing process this way.
Firstly I researched into hazmat suit patterns and designs and came across a few resources to help me understand how a hazmat suit is put together, I then created a rough version of these digitally and simulated how they would sit on a human body. Once I had a look that I believed would look okay I created a final version of the clothing pattern.
I then cut out some spare fabric out using a laser cutter to ensure that the shape and size would be accurate, I then roughly connected all these pieces together using sewing pins. Once I was happy with what I had I got some material that I thought would be fitting for a hazmat suit. Some yellow plastic material. This gave the look and feel of a real hazmat suit, opposed to fabric. After cutting this material out via a laser cutter I managed to stitch it together with my armature inside of it, allowing me to have a character model ready to animate.

Comments

Popular Posts