Shane Le Mar - Silhouette Animation (Post Production in After Effects)

As the first part of the Stop Motion Unit we were tasked with creating a Silhouette Animation in the style of the late Lotte Reiniger who was a German filmmaker who pioneered the style silhouette animation. We made this project in pairs and after some hard work to design and cut out the characters on black card using wire to pin them together.
There were many long processes involved in making this animation however I played a big part in the Post Production (which was in After Effects) this screenshot (on the top) is that of the part of the post production when I was compiling the filmed aspects with the digital aspects. It was at this point I realized that the background looked somewhat ugly with respect to the contrast of the background and the foreground with the characters. My partner and I deemed this to be an issue so I simply solved this problem by using the Invert effect. The Invert effect reversed the colors to look more professional and finalized than before (see screenshot to the bottom).
After applying the Inversion I then realized that it would be a good idea (not to mention a necessity) to Invert all of the other elements of video including the establishing shots and the falling woman shot. When all said and done my partner and I believe that this project went very well, that it looks effective and with the great sound design we added it had come together to form a fantastic final piece.

Comments

Popular Posts